This vegan chickpea curry is one our favourite go-to dinner recipes. Chickpeas, tomato paste, onions and indian spices make a simple but flavourful plant-based dinner packed with protein and fiber. We often make this curry as a weekday dinner and pair it with sauteed green veggies like spinach or bok choy (when we are feeling healthy) and/or some garlic naan (if we need a bit of a treat).
It’s especially good if you are running low on groceries since the ingredients are almost entirely pantry items. I for one almost always have a can of chickpeas, tomato paste and an onion kicking around; and that’s pretty much all you need to get this recipe going. Oh, and some spices, spices are key! Before I met Mr. Pea I think my idea of using spices in my cooking were throwing in some basil, salt and maybe garlic powder…Ha. Now I love me some spice and can happily say those days are behind me…and yes I’m now aware basil is an herb, not a spice.
Just as I’m getting our Iceland vacation planning organized I got thrown into a huge project at work (if it’s not one thing, it’s the other!). Needless to say I’ve been putting in more overtime than blogging-time lately and am struggling a bit with adjusting to longer hours. Once you get used to a 9-5 work schedule, going back to long hours is exhausting! I can’t believe how tired I’ve been the last few days. It’s as if my body has been telling me to slow down. At the same time it’s good to be busy and I find I’m enjoying the work. I love to be challenged and actually like working on deadline-focused high priority projects. The problem is I also like my downtime and have yet to find myself with the right amount of challenge AND the type of hours I want. Regardless, this week has been better than last and I’ve been more relaxed…. still dreaming of vacation though!
Easy Tomato Chickpea Curry
Prep Time: 3min
Cook Time: 15 – 20min
Keywords: gluten-free vegan chickpeas tomato
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 to 1 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- cinnamon stick (approx 1 inch piece)
1. Finely chop onion into thin long pieces and combine with oil in a medium saucepan over low-medium heat. Cover and stir frequently. Add a couple of splashes of water if onions start to stick to the pan.
2. When onions are translucent (after approximately 5-7 minutes) add 3/4 cup water, tomato paste and spices. Reduce to minimum heat and simmer for another 3-5 minutes.
3. Add chickpeas and continue to cook until chickpeas are warmed and flavours have combined (approx. 3-5min). The tomato and water mixture should thicken up and coat the chickpeas.
4. Remove the clove and bay leaf and serve with sauteed green vegetables like spinach or bok choy, rice, naan (or just on it’s own!) Leftovers are great for lunches the next day.
Hope you are finding some balance in your week! xo Jessica