Adding chia seeds to your regular hot oatmeal will boost the nutrition and keep you full longer! These are 3 of our favourite chia oatmeal recipes to keep you warm and nourished this winter: Lemon & Mixed Berry, Peanut Butter & Banana and Avocado Chocolate, Yum!
If you are feeling like something comforting you want our Peanut Butter & Banana chia oatmeal. The natural peanut butter makes the oatmeal so rich and creamy. This one is my personal favourite … it is definitely a classic flavour combination but I cannot get enough! Plus it packs 10.5 grams in one bowl! You can pump that up even more by stirring in some of your favourite vegan protein powder.
If you are feeling like something refreshing you want our Lemon & Mixed Berry chia oatmeal. Blueberries and blackberries pack this bowl full of antioxidants and freshly grated lemon zest keeps it a bit tart. We used Costco Mixed berries with Blueberries, blackberries and raspberries, but any mix should work.
And finally if it’s just one of those days, you need some chocolate for breakfast. This avocado chocolate oatmeal bowl is full of melty chocolate goodness thickened up with a touch of mashed avocado. This one’s a bit of treat, but you deserve it 🙂 The avocado is optional if you don’t have any on hand.
Vegan Chia Oatmeal – 3 Ways!
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 10 – 15min
Ingredients (serves 1)
Basic Chia Oatmeal
- – 1/2 cup rolled oats
- – 1 cup water
- – 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- – 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
Add-Ins for Peanut Butter Banana
- – 1 tbsp peanut butter
- – 1/2 medium banana, mashed
- – 1/4 tsp cinnamon + more to top
Add-Ins for Lemon & Mixed Berries
- – 3/4 – 1 cup frozen mixed berries, thawed
- – 1/2 tsp lemon zest
Add-Ins for Avocado Chocolate
- – 1/2 tbsp mashed avocado*
- – 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- – 1 tbsp vegan chocolate chips
- *Avocado is optional if you don’t have any on hand, this is delicious just with the cocoa and chocolate chips as well!
1. Bring water to a boil and add rolled oats. Decrease heat to medium and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add chia seeds, stir and continue to simmer oatmeal until cooked. You want to add the chia before the other mix-ins to give the seeds a chance to absorb some of the water.
3. Stir in maple syrup and other add-ins listed above for (1) Peanut Butter Banana, (2) Lemon & Mixed Berry or (3) Avocado Chocolate. For Lemon & Mixed Berry, you will need to continue to simmer for a few minutes as the berries will water down the oatmeal. For the Avocado Chocolate, stir in chocolate chips and cocoa powder first and heat until chocolate chips are melted, only add avocado once removed from heat.
Notes: Add extra water if water is absorbed and oatmeal is not at desired consistency
ps – If you’re a fan of this Peanut Butter & Banana Chia Oatmeal – make sure you also try our Shake & Go Overnight Oats recipe 🙂