Shake & Go Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats

You know when you first discover a new recipe and can’t stop making it?  That is me with these Mini-Mason Jar Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats; I may have eaten this every day for the past two weeks…seriously.  We’ve made overnight oats a LOT since adopting a plant-based diet, but for some reason have never thought to shake instead of stir until now.  Well it’s official, we’ve gone all James Bond on the classic overnight oat recipe (and added peanut butter because it just makes everything better).

Three Steps: 1. Shake 2. Sleep 3. Go!

Vegan Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats; Shake & Go!

Vegan Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats; Shake & Go!

These ready-to-eat overnight oat jars are great for packed lunches or if you’re in a rush in the morning.  Lately, I’ve been having green smoothies for breakfast and then packing one of these for a morning snack at work.  It gives me a little boost of energy mid-morning and it’s packed with nutrition.  There is actually 12.5 grams of protein in one of these little guys if made with almond milk and 18.5 whole grams if made with soy milk!

I’m thinking these would also be perfect for camping.  We have a short camping trip planned for the start of September so are on the look-out for recipes that are easy to pack or that we can cook over a campfire.  My sister and I went camping for the first time since we were little a few weekends ago and although it rained like crazy (see my instagram pics) we had a lot of fun. It was also easier than I thought it would be to put together a vegan menu!  If you have any favourite vegan camping recipes let me know in the comments 🙂

Vegan Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats; Shake & Go!

Vegan Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats; Shake & Go!

Shake & Go Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats

by Two Green Peas

Prep Time: 5min

Keywords: raw breakfast brunch snack vegan oats banana

Ingredients (serves 1)

• 1/3 – 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 medium banana, chopped into very small cubes
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (soy or almond)

Instructions

1. In the same order as listed above, combine ingredients in a small 250ml mason jar or container (see here for the ones we use)

2. Shake rigorously until combined.  Make sure ingredients are well mixed together after shaking.

3. Refrigerate overnight, pack and go. Your oats are ready 🙂

Note: You can also combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix, it’s just not as fun.

Powered by Recipage

Vegan Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats; Shake & Go!

Enjoy your oats shaken, not stirred!  xo. Jessica

Comments

1. Raelyn Wilson says

This looks so good! I look forward to seeing comments of vegan camping recipes as well. Do you think if I made a couple of these at once they would be good for a few days or would I have to eat it the morning?

• twogreenpeas says

Thanks so much Raelyn 🙂 I’ve kept them in the fridge for up to two days but haven’t tried longer than that to be honest. They shouldn’t go bad but might just get a bit thicker than you would want. Let me know if you end up trying it.

• twogreenpeas says

Hi Katherine, so sorry for the delayed response! I haven’t tried them with out banana but I would recommend using a full half cup of oats and doubling the amount of chia seeds. If you give it a try let me know how it turns out. You could also try substituting another fruit for the banana.

• Sarah C. says

I didn’t have banana but really wanted to try this. I doubled the chia seeds and used the full 1/2 cup of oats. I think the banana would help give it some natural sweetness, and I did think they needed it. I added about 2 tsp. Honey to it when I first tasted it (I’m not vegan) but it may not be necessary with the fruit. I’ll give it a try again when I get some bananas!

• twogreenpeas says

Hi Sarah, glad to hear you were able to modify the recipe and try without the bananas, but you’re right the banana does bring the sweetness. Hope you have a great week and are able to hunt down some bananas 🙂

2. Dee says

Just a little curious. Could i possibly microwave this after it’s refrigerated? This would be great because my schedule doesn’t allow me to cook oatmeal but if I could pop this in the microwave that would be marvelous.

• twogreenpeas says

Hi Dee, Thanks for your comment 🙂 The recipe is designed to eat cold, so I wouldn’t recommend microwaving. I know cold oatmeal sounds odd if you haven’t tried it before but it’s actually really really good! That being said I haven’t tried microwaving so can’t say for sure how it would turn out.

• says

These oats are amazing!!! Thank you so much for the recipe. Even my husband loved it. The best part is that it kept us feeling full for the rest of the day. I tried it hot (microwaved it for 2 mins on med-high after getting it from the fridge). I prefer it hot, my husband likes it cold. ☺️

• Darlene says

For a hot cereal, I microwave half mason jar of water, add oats, cover with lid, let set for 5 minutes depending on how chewy you like your oats… then add your ingredients.

• twogreenpeas says

We used large flake rolled oats, I’m not sure how steel oats would work but quick should be ok. Hope you enjoy 🙂

• Maggie says

I have heard that using steal cut oats will make it chewy. I haven’t tried it before but that’s what I’ve heard. 🙂

3. Jennifer P says

What about without the chia seeds? Could those be easily omitted? I haven’t been able to conform to the chia revolution, yet. Thanks for this recipe! I’m super excited to try these.

• twogreenpeas says

Hi Jennifer, thanks so much for your comment! The chia seeds help to thicken up the overnight oats so I would recommend giving it a try 🙂 I’m not 100% sure how it would work without the chia seeds but if you do give it a try let me know, you would probably have to use about half the amount of milk.

• Beáta BC says

Jennifer you could use psyllium husk or LSA instead of chia. That too will give you the fibre you need plus helps thicken the whole thing as does chia.

Hope that helps

I too am hanging out to try this. Maybe even with some frozen berries…or peaches mmmm

4. Crystal says

Hi! Thanks for the recipe, it was amazing!

I used grounded almond (because that’s what I had in the cupboard) instead of chia seeds. it worked out just fine, no extra or less milk needed.
    I used peanut butter with chunks in it and it seemed to have made the peanut butter harder to be mixed. So I’d say it’s better to use smooth peanut butter.
    I also added coconut flakes in it because it’s my personal favourite. I loved it! I thought the flakes gave the oats more texture.
    I also think it’d go really well with sliced apple, but I don’t know how it’d turn out if I put the apple in overnnight. Any thoughts?

• twogreenpeas says

Hi Crystal, thanks so much 🙂 I’m so glad you enjoyed it, I will have to give it a try with ground almonds. Apples sound like they would be good, I haven’t tried it though so not totally sure. Let me know how it turns out if you make it that way!

• twogreenpeas says

Hi Judy, We typically don’t count calories or carbs (most plant-based meals are high in carbs and that is not a bad thing). That being said I did calculate the carbs for you 🙂 There are approximately 50g of carbs in each serving. Hope you enjoy!

5. Hallie says

Holy moly! I made this last night and had it today. This was realllllly good, thank you so much for posting this recipe. Will definitely be following you for more great recipes 🙂

• twogreenpeas says

Thank you so much Hallie!! I’m really glad you enjoyed the oats, this recipe is one of my favourites as well 🙂

• twogreenpeas says

Hi Ryan, I haven’t tried steel cut oats, only traditional rolled oats so can’t say for sure . I suspect the result may not be and creamy and smooth… Also they may need to soak longer since they are a bit tougher, let me know if you end up giving it a try.

6. Bianca says

I would like to know how many calories and protein are in each jar, I’m on a high protein diet. And this sounds really good.

• twogreenpeas says

Thanks Bianca 🙂 Sorry for the late response! There are approximately 13g of protein in a serving and about 370 calories. This is a filling breakfast so don’t be afraid of calories, it’s all good stuff, hope you enjoy.

• twogreenpeas says

Hi Veronica, I haven’t tried the recipe with quick oats before so can’t say for sure. Overnight oat recipes typically work best with large flake / old fashioned oats, but if you give it a try let me know how it turns out!

• twogreenpeas says

Hi Alexa, I haven’t tried it with powdered peanut butter before. I don’t think the texture would be the same, but if you try it let me know how it turns out!

7. Destiny says

What kind of peanut butter did you use? And do you put the bananas in the night before or wait until morning to add the bananas? Also… I have flax seed… Would that work in place of the chia seed? Thanks! Can’t wait to try this!

• twogreenpeas says

Hi Destiny, we use natural peanut butter from Costco. You add everything the night before, bananas included. I haven’t tried the recipe with flaxseed before, but it has similar properties to chia so you could give it a try. I might recommend adding some sweeetner to it as flaxseed is typically a bit more bitter of a taste. If you give it a try let me know 🙂

• twogreenpeas says

Hi Caiti, I haven’t tried heating it before. If you give it a try let me know how it turns out 🙂

8. Amanda says

I just tried this recipe with coconut milk…. Guess I’ll see what happens in the morning 🙂 I’m very excited, what a great idea!

9. Diana says

Wondering if this would work with all natural peanut butter or almond butter. I’m thinking coconut may be nice in there.

• twogreenpeas says

Hi Diana, I always use natural peanut butter so that would for sure work. Coconut sounds delicious as well, hope you enjoy!

10. Sarah McKay says

I swapped out brown sugar for cinnamon (I’m allergic) and it was a great substitute. I’ve shared this a few times and can’t believe how tasty this is every day!